Annual tree giveaway held
Traffic stop leads to drug charges
Severe weather hits county
Suspect in professor’s stabbing caught
E-Catch summit successful
- Fiscal Court honors veterans - 4:28 pm
- Annual tree giveaway held - 11:48 am
- Training funds available for displaced miners - 11:27 am
- Conference to explore economic, workforce transition - 11:24 am updated: 2:39 pm.
- Traffic stop leads to drug charges - 4:47 pm
- Severe weather hits county - 4:46 pm
- Suspect in professor’s stabbing caught - 3:21 pm
- News in Brief - 3:14 pm
- Inspired by own family, Ky. gov. tackles foster system - 3:06 pm
- E-Catch summit successful - 3:03 pm
- Federal utility CEO: Coal plants not reopening under Trump - 3:03 pm
- Woman cites US Supreme Court decisions in bid for release - 7:08 am
- Enjoy a local rare river - 6:15 am updated: 6:15 am.
- Ky. broadband project inches forward with lease signing - 8:14 am
- Annual 4-H Safety Day conducted - 7:55 am
- Beshear urges Kentuckians to file claims on settlement over Provigil - 6:17 am
- Today in History - 12:01 am
- Filmmaker, TV host explores the unknown - 4:42 pm
- Grimes attends luncheon - 4:39 pm updated: 5:22 pm.
- Fleeing with student, teacher took guns, cash and wife’s car - 12:20 pm
- News in Brief - 12:07 pm
- Ky. officials speed up release of paroled prisoners - 6:27 am
- Today in History - 12:01 am
- Local women to present lectures on mountain mysteries, foxfires and the Blue People - 5:34 pm
- News in Brief - 4:01 pm
E-Catch summit successful
The 2017 Second Annual E-Catch (Early Childhood-Community Action Team for Children) Summit at the Bell-Whitley Community Action Center was a major suc...
Federal utility CEO: Coal plants not reopening under Trump
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The CEO of the nation’s biggest public utility said Tuesday that the agency isn’t going to reopen coal-fired...
Woman cites US Supreme Court decisions in bid for release
GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Twenty years after the triple killing that left a mother, father and daughter dead in a roadside ditch and their son m...
Ky. broadband project inches forward with lease signing
FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky officials have agreed to lease 315 miles of fiber-optic cables from five rural telephone companies as they continue to...
Annual 4-H Safety Day conducted
Photos submittedThe 17th annual 4-H Safety Day was held April 13 at the Harlan National Guard Armory. Gun safety, ATV safety, water and boating safety...
Several SEC stars will go in Round 1 of baseball draft
During my early days in the 1960s and 1970s, there wasn’t a lot of media coverage in college baseball. It wasn’t easy to find articles or ...
West leads Yankees to victory over BravesTristan West pounded out three hits, including an inside-the-park homer, triple and double, as the Fuelco Yan...
Big 6th inning sends Whitley past Dragons
A four-run sixth inning carried the Whitley County Colonels to a 6-1 win over the visiting Harlan Green Dragons on Friday in 13th Region baseball acti...
Harlan’s Brock named a Kentucky All-Star
Jordan Brock has added one final achievement to her record-breaking high school basketball career at Harlan High School as she learned Monday that she...
Middle school baseball
HarlanTeam members include, from left, front row: Caleb Haynes, Noah Lewis, Evan Browning, John Mark Bryson and Andrew Roark; middle row: Shiloh Turne...
HCHS girls, Leslie boys win Area 9 meet
The weather claimed the second half of the Area 9 Track and Field Championships, but the Harlan County boys and girls squads both added hardware to th...
Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship available
FRANKFORT — Applications for the Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship are now available from the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEA...
Social Security launches 1st ‘National Social Security Month’
Nancy A. Berryhill, acting commissioner of Social Security, invites everyone to celebrate the first National Social Security Month in April by taking ...
‘Alien Day’ to celebrate movie franchise
The Alien franchise is one the most successful and well-known film franchises ever made. April 26 (chosen as a reference to the planet LV426 in which ...
Time to think about termites
Springtime, with its warmer temperatures and more abundant rainfall, is typically when many winged termites emerge inside homes and other structures. ...
Enjoy a local rare river
The Powell River is truly one of our area’s most unique natural areas and one that is greatly underutilized. It offers fantastic scenery, fishin...
Today in History
Today is Tuesday, April 25, the 115th day of 2017. There are 250 days left in the year.Today’s Highlight in History:On April 25, 1507, a world m...
Cancer research is critical to state, nation
The recent announcement that the University of Kentucky was awarded $11.2 million from the National Institutes of Health for research on cancer and it...
Encumbrances come to all
An encumbrance will often weigh us down or prevent us from going forward.Trinity Lutheran Church, Columbia, Missouri should not receive taxpayer dolla...
The eternal wisdom of God
I found the following comments in an article quite interesting, “The production of art and entertainment for commercial reasons is an old story;...
Children grow up and make their own choices
How many parents have waited for the day when their child’s eyes would suddenly be opened and like the prodigal they will finally see the truth ...
Woman marries more money than she could earn
A rather awkward bachelor, realizing he would inherit a fortune when his elderly father died, decided he needed to find a wife to share his riches wit...