Joe P. Asher
Kentucky State Police arrested a father and son on theft charges on Tuesday. Robert A Perkins, 36, of Evarts, and Bobby Perkins, 59, of Evarts, were both charged with theft by unlawful taking and third-degree criminal trespassing.
According to KSP Trooper Brandon Burton, the pair was found on property owned by the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Authority.
“I was dispatched to a trespass and theft complaint at the end of Ages Creek Road in Ages,” said Burton. “Upon arrival I met with Mr. Ken Crider, who is over the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority. Crider advised that they had blocked off the entrance to the property with trees and gate, but some subjects were seen going onto the property without permission.”
Burton stated he, along with members of the recreation board, searched the property.
“Myself and several other subjects with the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority went onto the property to try and locate the perpetrators. Approximately one mile onto the property we made contact with Robert Perkins and his father (Bobby Perkins),” said Burton.
Burton noted the men were found in a creek.
“Both subjects were down in a creek off of the road retrieving steel railroad rails from the ground,” said Burton. “The accused advised that they did not get permission to get the metal or be on the property. The accused advised that they had taken several loads of metal from the property and sold it to Baxter Metal.”
Both men were arrested and lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center on $3,000 bonds.
In other police activity:
* Joseph A Owens, 23, of Harlan, was arrested by Harlan City Police on charges of theft by unlawful taking and first-degree criminal mischief. According to Harlan Police Officer Hunter Luttrell “the subject was confirmed by three individuals that he was outside of their house trying to steal a heat pump that estimates around $3,000. They advised the above subject had cut the fence to get into the closed off area where the heat pumps were located.”
Owens was charged with theft by unlawful taking and first-degree criminal mischief and lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center on a $7,000 full cash bond;
* Emma Caldwell, 34, of Baxter, was arrested on Tuesday by the Loyall Police Department and charged with tampering with physical evidence, possession of drug paraphernalia and failure to appear;
* Anthony Carr, 42, of Kenvir, was charged with a probation violation for a felony offense by the Office of Probation and Parole on Thursday;
* Shaun Johnson, 23, of Harlan, was arrested on Wednesday by the Kentucky State Police and charged with theft by unlawful taking. Johnson was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center on a $5,000 bond;
* Jennifer Mullins, 40, of Harlan, was charged with a probation violation for a felony offense by the Office of Probation and Parole on Wednesday.
Reach Joe P. Asher at 606-573-4510 or email@example.com