State News in Brief


Minton: Expungement requests have doubled after law change

FRANKFORT (AP) — Kentucky Chief Justice John Minton Jr. says the number of expungement requests have doubled since a new law went into effect allowing some convicted felons to clear their records.

Minton told lawmakers during his annual State of the Judiciary address that the Administrative Office of the Courts has received 8,400 criminal record reports for expungement since the law went into effect on July 15. He said that number is about double the number of requests at this time last year.

Minton said the number includes requests for misdemeanors and felonies, adding officials cannot separate the two categories. But he attributes the increase in requests to the passage of the expungement bill.

HB.40 allows people convicted of certain non-violent felonies to clear their records if they have no other pending charges.

___

Man accused of putting glass shards in cups

BOWLING GREEN (AP) — A Kentucky man has been charged by a federal grand jury with placing shards of glass in cups that were to be sent to fast-food restaurants.

The U.S. attorney’s office announced the indictment against 41-year-old Waylon J. Horton of Munfordville on Thursday and said it was returned Sept. 14 but sealed until this week. He faces one count of consumer product tampering.

Horton was initially charged in July. Dart Container Corp. contacted authorities about possible product tampering involving Horton while he was employed by the company.

Dart Container President Jim Lammers said in a statement at the time that a customer received a shipment of cups contaminated with glass. Lammers called the incident a “deliberate attack” on Dart and not the result of a failure in safety protocols.

Horton is scheduled for arraignment on Wednesday. It’s not clear whether he has a lawyer.

___

3 of 4 plead guilty in woman’s apartment shooting death

WINCHESTER (AP) — Three of four suspects charged in a Winchester woman’s 2014 shooting death have pleaded guilty to charges.

Local media outlets report that Christopher Robinson, Lamont Wilkerson and Aaron Stailey entered pleas Thursday to charges in 19-year-old Amber Caudill’s death.

Caudill died in December 2014 when a bullet fired into the apartment above hers went through the floor, striking her.

Robinson, Wilkerson and Stailey said in court that they were trying to rob the people in that apartment when the shooting happened.

Robinson pleaded guilty to murder, burglary and assault charges in the case. Stailey and Wilkinson entered pleas to complicity to each of those charges.

All three will be sentenced in November.

A fourth suspect, Lillian Barnett, is charged with complicity to murder in Caudill’s death. She’s awaiting trial.

___

3rd person charged in assault near UofL

LOUISVILLE (AP) — A third person has been charged in a sexual assault near the University of Louisville campus.

Louisville Metro Police Detective Ann Cohen tells news outlets that a 17-year-old boy was arrested Wednesday and charged in connection with a Sept. 13 assault.

The teenager’s arrest comes one day after 18-year-old Dezmeontai Tinsley was arrested and five days after a 16-year-old boy was taken into custody.

All three face numerous charges, including first-degree sodomy, first-degree robbery, kidnapping and second-degree arson.

Police say two women were sexually assaulted at gunpoint in the span of two days, with the first victim also being carjacked and robbed on Sept. 12. Tinsley is charged in connection with the first assault, while the 16-year-old has been linked to both attacks.

It’s unclear whether Tinsley has an attorney.

comments powered by Disqus