State News in Brief


Bevin’s Medicaid proposal will change, health secretary says

FRANKFORT (AP) — The secretary of Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services says officials will be making some changes to Gov. Matt Bevin’s Medicaid proposal.

Vickie Yates Brown Glisson told the state Medicaid Oversight and Advisory Committee on Wednesday that officials are still reviewing the public comments submitted on the proposal. She said the comments were “thoughtful and very helpful.” She did not detail what the changes might be.

Kentucky was one of 32 states that expanded its Medicaid program under the federal Affordable Care Act. More than 400,000 were covered under the expanded program, which Bevin says is too large for the state to afford.

Bevin’s proposal would charge small premiums to able-bodied adults, and it would require them to have a job or volunteer for a charity in order to keep their benefits.

___

Deputies: Kids called 911 after mom left them home alone

CORBIN (AP) — Authorities say two Corbin children called 911 after they said their mother, who later showed up drunk, had left them home alone for hours.

Knox County Deputy Sheriff Claude Hudson tells news outlets that 37-year-old Michelle Brown drove home drunk early Saturday about an hour after the children called 911.

Upon her arrival, Brown was met by an awaiting deputy and arrested on charges including two counts of endangering the welfare of a minor and driving under the influence.

Hudson says the children had told dispatchers they had been left at home by their mother for nine hours.

It isn’t clear whether Brown has an attorney.

The two children were released to Social Services.

___

Bevin removes ABC commissioner, citing ‘lost confidence’

FRANKFORT (AP) — Gov. Matt Bevin has removed the commissioner of the state Alcoholic Beverage Commission that he appointed just five months ago.

In an executive order filed Monday, Bevin removed Steven Edwards from his post because he “lost confidence” in his ability to lead. Bevin said “matters have been brought to my attention” that caused him to question Edwards, but he did not say what those matters were.

Edwards is an attorney and a graduate of the U.S. Army War College. Before he was commissioner, he served on the ABC board and was the distilled spirits administrator. He is also the former division chief for claims at Fort Knox.

Edwards replaced former commissioner Freddie Higdon, who resigned.

___

Teens sentenced for killing homeless man as part of ‘game’

LOUISVILLE (AP) — Three teenagers have been sentenced to 20 years behind bars in the beating of a homeless man in Louisville last summer.

The Courier-Journal reports authorities say in June 2015 that then 19-year-old Andre Richards, along with a pair of 14-year-old twin brothers, attacked 62-year-old Johnny “Pappy” Manley, who suffered a fractured skull and brain bleeding.

Manley was hit by one of the teens, knocked to the ground and beaten into a coma.

Richards told police it was part of a game he called “KO” or knockout.

The three teenagers were initially charged with first-degree assault.

The three each accepted the 20-year sentence last week after pleading guilty to a lesser charge of second-degree assault and tampering with evidence in the attack.

___

Lawsuits against Catholic school allege sex, race harassment

LEXINGTON (AP) — Three former students of a Catholic high school in Lexington have filed lawsuits against the school, alleging discrimination.

Local news outlets report that attorney Amos Jones filed three lawsuits on behalf of the students Tuesday afternoon against Lexington Catholic High School.

Jones says a white female student alleges sex harassment and discrimination while two black male students allege race harassment. The civil complaints name administrators, teachers, coaches and other students.

Jones says the school violated Kentucky’s Civil Rights Act and committed fraud, gross negligence and breach of contract. He says the school’s actions forced the students to withdraw from the school.

Lexington Catholic High School vice president for advancement Tim Culver said Tuesday that the school would not comment on legal matters.

___

Coroner: Restrained inmate died of meth intoxication

LIBERTY (AP) — A Kentucky coroner says an inmate who was restrained at a county jail died from methamphetamine intoxication.

Casey County jailers found 34-year-old Jerry Dale Hardwick dead in a restraint chair at the facility on July 5. Casey County Coroner Curt Demrow told The Advocate-Messenger that a toxicology report finalized last week lists methamphetamine intoxication as the primary cause of death. Demrow says Hardwick’s meth levels were “very high.”

He says ethanol withdrawal and dehydration were contributing conditions.

The Casey County Sheriff’s Office has said Hardwick was jailed on the day he died on charges of public intoxication, fleeing police, disorderly conduct and criminal mischief. Demrow says Hardwick was placed in the restraint chair because he was combative.

___

Man accused in sisters’ stabbing deaths wouldn’t enter court

BOWLING GREEN (AP) — A Kentucky man accused of stabbing his two sisters to death wouldn’t enter the courtroom for his preliminary hearing.

The Kentucky New Era reports that 65-year-old Robert Jerry Rogers refused multiple times to appear in the Christian District courtroom Monday. Rogers’ attorney, Clay Beineke, said his client waived his right to be present.

Rogers faces murder charges in the deaths of 69-year-old Francis Carolyn Coleman and 62-year-old Joanne Rogers, who were found stabbed at a Hopkinsville home on Aug. 7.

Authorities say the suspect was discovered inside the residence with blood on his clothes.

Hopkinsville police Detective Randall Greene testified that Robert Rogers said his sisters were trying to steal money from him.

A judge forwarded his case to the grand jury. The suspect will undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

___

Man ruled competent for trial in fatal shooting

ELIZABETHTOWN (AP) — A central Kentucky man has been ruled competent to stand trial in a fatal shooting.

The News Enterprise reports Hardin Circuit Judge Ken Howard handed down the competency order Monday for Joshua Ratliff, who is accused of fatally shooting a co-worker, 22-year-old Ryan Birse, inside a KFC/Taco Bell restaurant on Feb. 25. Howard set a trial date of Feb. 20.

An arrest citation accuses Ratliff of shooting Birse nine times. The citation says Ratliff entered the establishment, located Birse and began firing. He is facing charges of murder, wanton endangerment and fleeing police.

Defense attorney C. Wesley Durham has filed a motion to use insanity as Ratliff’s defense.

___

Public meetings help in search for Morehead State president

MOREHEAD (AP) — Morehead State University officials plan more public meetings to get input as the school searches for a new president.

Morehead’s Presidential Search and Screening Advisory Committee will hold a public meeting Friday at the MSU campus in Ashland. The panel also plans two meetings in Morehead on Aug. 22, one for employees and another for the community.

Officials also plan to hold meetings in Maysville and Mt. Sterling. They have already held meetings in Hazard and Prestonsburg.

Regent Wayne Martin, who chairs the committee, told The Independent that the group is seeking input that will assist them in determining benchmarks and other criteria the public would like to see in the school’s next president.

Current President Wayne D. Andrews plans to retire June 30, 2017.

___

Free tours offered at historic Perryville battlefield

PERRYVILLE (AP) — The Kentucky Department of Parks is offering guided walking tours of the Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site as the park prepares for its annual Civil War re-enactment.

The tours beginning Aug. 23 are free with museum admission of $4 per person. They will offer guests a glimpse of the history of the battlefield as well as what to expect for the October battle re-enactment.

Park Manager Kurt Holman will guide the tours.

The tours of the museum and battlefield will be given on Aug. 23, 25, 30; Sept. 1, 6, 8, 13, 17, 20, 22, and 27.

The Department of Parks is also offering advance discounted tickets to the annual commemoration of the Battle of Perryville, which will be on Oct. 8-9.

comments powered by Disqus