Several open houses are planned for Harlan County Schools prior to the start of the new school year. The schedule includes:
• Cawood Elementary School will host an open house from noon to 2 p.m. on Aug. 9. Come out and meet your child’s teachers and staff, and register any new students.
• James A. Cawood Elementary School will host an open house from 4-6 p.m. on Aug. 9.
• Harlan County High School will host FROSH, the freshman orientation, from 4-6 p.m. on Aug. 9. Students will meet in the theatre. Parents will meet in the lunchroom on the second floor. Meet and greet your principals, teachers, faculty and staff. Schedules will be given to the students along with school supplies and door prizes. For more information, contact Janet White, HCHS Youth Service Center, at 606-573-3006.
• Rosspoint Elementary School will have open house from 1-3 p.m. on Aug. 10.
• Evarts Elementary School will host an open house from 1-3 p.m. on Aug. 10. Students can meet and greet their new teachers, see classroom assignments and pick up supply lists. There will also be free refreshments and giveaways.
• Special activities are planned for the Black Mountain Elementary School open house from 2-4 p.m. on Aug. 10. Come out and meet the teachers and staff.
• Cumberland Elementary School will host open house from 2-4 p.m. on Aug. 10.
• Green Hills Elementary School will have and open house from 2-4 p.m. on Aug. 10. There will be inflatables and refreshments. Teachers and administration will be on hand.