The Harlan Fiscal Court recognized the Kentucky state champion Tri-City Junior League softball team with a proclamation during a recent meeting. Harlan County Judge-Executive Dan Mosley read the proclamation honoring the team.
The proclamation states the Tri-City Junior League All-Star team, ages 13 to 14 years old, began playing postseason games approximately one month ago. During play, they remained undefeated against other Junior League teams and won the state championship by defeating the North Oldham team by a score of 11-1. The Tri-City Junior League team is now in South Holland, Illinois, to compete in the Central Regional Tournament. The Tri-City All-Stars have left little doubt they are the state’s top Junior Little League team for the year 2016.
Mosley stated he and the Harlan Fiscal Court would like to recognize team members Genoa “TC” Somersall, Alee Galloway, Emily Collett, Hannah Johnson, Mikaylyn Foutch, Brandy Adams, Destiny Cornett-Clark, Madison Banks, Hannah Rodriguez, Haven Saylor, Emily Sizemore and Emily Robinson. The court also recognized coach Merill Galloway, assistant coach Randall “Corky” Tackett and bookkeeper coach Dawn Lloyd.
In other court activity:
• The court extended a line of credit with The Bank of Harlan for Black Mountain Utility District for a period of one year;
• A resolution was passed to name a bridge at mile marker 35 on U.S. 119 in Cumberland the World War II Al Cornett Bridge;
• A motion to declare an animal control dog box surplus and sell the item to the Henderson County Fiscal Court was rescinded;
• Bids were opened for gravel. Multiple bids were received. The court referred the matter to the Harlan County Judge-Executive’s Office for review;
• The court approved pay for election workers for a special election held on Tuesday;
• The court approved minutes from a previous meeting;
• The court accepted reports concerning animal control, roads and bridges, recycling and solid waste, the inmate work program and solid waste enforcement;
• A lease agreement between the Harlan County Fiscal Court and the Commonwealth of Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife for boat slip rental at Stone Mountain Boat Dock was approved.
Reach Joe P. Asher at 606-909-4132 or on Twitter @joe_hde.