The Harlan City School board handled some last minute business before the start of the school year during a meeting on Thursday, including small changes in a posting for the position of Library Media Specialist.
Board Chairman Joe Meadors called the meeting to order and called on Superintendent C.D. Morton to advise the panel on the possibility of filling the position of Library Media Specialist.
“With the recent resignation of the Library Media Specialist, we need to post that position,” Morton said. “I’d like to make one change to that (posting), and that is to the number or extended employment days. I’ve called around, and the number of days I’m recommending, which is 10, is on par and exceeds most of those around us.”
Morton explained the position is an itinerant position which is shared between the high school, middle school and elementary school.
“We also provide the library with a full-time assistant, and they serve in the opposing library when the library media specialist is in the other facility,” Morton said. “It would be my recommendation that we approve the Library Media Specialist position’s extended employment days.”
The board passed a motion going with Morton’s recommendation.
The panel also approved a memorandum of understanding with Unite Service Corps.
“Last year was the first year in a while that we partnered with UNITE,” Morton said. “They provide what they call a Unite Service Corps aid. It’s a unique partnership in the sense that they’re really termed volunteers and Unite kicks in a significant amount and we kick in I think $5,500 to get a full time aid in the schools that provide targeted assistance to third, fourth and fifth grade students as well as do a Unite Club where they things such as “Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs” and various other activities.”
Morton recommended approving the memorandum, which the board passed with no opposition.
In other board activity:
• A contract with the Health Department was approved;
• The board approved a contract for psychological consultants;
• The Harlan High School handbook was approved;
• The Harlan Elementary School handbook was approved;
• A contract for therapy services was approved;
• The board approved a district code of conduct;
• The employee handbook and the coaches’ handbook were both approved;
• The consent agenda including meeting minutes and the paying of bills was approved;
• The board approved a signature change for banking accounts.
Reach Joe P. Asher at 606-909-4132 or on Twitter @joe_hde