With school out and the summer season upon us, enjoying fun, sun and family is top of mind for many. To ensure those good times are as safe as possible, Kentucky Utilities Company encourages customers to take time to reacquaint themselves with electric safety tips during June, which is National Safety Month.
KU encourages customers to review electric safety. Customers experiencing a power outage should keep the following safety tips in mind:
· Call KU at 800-981-0600 to report outages and downed power lines. Customers with registered online accounts can also report outages by texting “OUTAGE” to 4LGEKU.
· Always assume any downed wire is an energized power line and call us immediately.
· Stay away from all fallen wires and anything that may be in contact with them.
· When using portable generators, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and operate the generator in a well-ventilated area.
· Never use camp stoves and charcoal grills indoors; they can produce deadly fumes.
Visit the company website for more electric safety tips and to learn what items to gather and store in your outage kit.