Sliding in the sun
Kentucky Main Street Program communities contributed $110M to state economy in 2016
Doctor-lawmaker tries to restrict smoking in tobacco country
HES receives banner at luncheon
City OK’s alcohol sales
- Sliding in the sun - 4:38 pm
- Kentucky Main Street Program communities contributed $110M to state economy in 2016 - 4:29 pm updated: 7:35 pm.
- Sen. Paul joins President Trump for singing of legislation protecting Ky. coal industry - 4:10 pm
- New supercomputer aids climate research top coal state - 4:01 pm
- Cases involving alleged drug theft at VA health facilities - 4:00 pm
- Teen suicide attempts fell as same-sex marriage became legal - 3:59 pm
- News in Brief - 3:52 pm
- Doctor-lawmaker tries to restrict smoking in tobacco country - 3:26 pm
- Boil-water advisory issued - 1:33 pm
- Pension system’s woes could be worse than previously thought - 7:21 pm
- Drivers see higher premiums after not-at-fault crashes - 5:50 am
- Beshear, AARP partnering to prevent scams - 3:50 pm
- Bible classes possible in Ky. public schools - 4:02 pm
- HES receives banner at luncheon - 3:41 pm
- City OK’s alcohol sales - 3:40 pm
- Bill would require Bible classes in Ky. public schools - 4:39 am
- Harlan Yoga celebrates grand opening - 3:40 pm
- Child forensic exams supported by fund - 3:32 pm
- Local events coming up - 3:19 pm updated: 3:29 pm.
- Bill targets past funding source for Planned Parenthood - 3:18 pm
- Trump nominee has decried Medicaid for fostering dependency - 1:19 pm
- Judge: Man can’t be tried in forgotten ‘72 cop-shooting case - 1:17 pm
- News in Brief - 1:15 pm
- House panel advances bill to combat drug addiction - 1:09 pm
- Reducing food waste is good for the Earth, your wallet - 12:37 pm updated: 12:38 pm.
Pension system’s woes could be worse than previously thought
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky’s public pension system, which officially faces an $18.1 billion unfunded liability, might be in worse shap...
Drivers see higher premiums after not-at-fault crashes
WASHINGTON (AP) — Most drivers don’t expect to be hit with a rate hike on their auto insurance after a car accident that wasn’t thei...
Beshear, AARP partnering to prevent scams
FRANKFORT — Attorney General Andy Beshear joined AARP of Kentucky and members of the faith-based community Friday to launch a partnership to pro...
Bible classes possible in Ky. public schools
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — When Kentucky high school students read the line “‘twere well it were done quickly” in Shakespeare’...
HES receives banner at luncheon
Harlan Elementary School was recently awarded several banners, including a School of Distinction banner.The banner was presented during a Southeast/So...
Brock set new standard for girls hoops
To say basketball is a passion would be an understatement for Harlan High School senior Jordan Brock. It is a way of life — her life.Brock began...
Unlike the 2015-16 campaign which saw Mychal Mulder play in a very limited role at Kentucky with a total of 90 minutes in the Tyler Ulis-led backcourt...
Spurlock plays key role in Bears’ success
Basketball, for standout players such as Harlan County senior guard Treyce Spurlock, is a year-round commitment.Beginning with the high school season ...
13th Region: District tourney schedules are set
Girls52nd Districtat HarlanMonday6:00 - Harlan County vs Middlesboro7:30 - Harlan vs Bell CountyThursday7:00 - Finals^^^51st District at Barbourville ...
Wildcats gain revenge, rout Tennessee
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — Showing long-range accuracy wasn’t enough for Kentucky guard Malik Monk, who made an even bigger impression going up...
Insects are invading homes
Before too long, those outside temperatures will begin to warm, and it will be shortly followed by Asian lady beetles, brown marmorated stink bugs, an...
Celebrate Mardi Gras by eating like a local
NEW ORLEANS— In New Orleans, Mardi Gras isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon … of eating. Parade-route fried chicken, steaming pots...
What’s Goin’ On
To place an event in the “What’s Goin’ On” section, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; fax: 606-573-0042; or drop a written/typed...
What’s smarter — paying off debts or investing?
If you’re just starting out in your career, you will need to be prepared to face some financial challenges along the way – but here’...
Thimble tossed! Game piece voted out of Monopoly board game
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — You can still pass “Go” and collect $200 on the Monopoly board, but you soon won’t be able to do it...
Holiday or all the days?
Have you ever wondered if we had no holidays would people be in debt? I know that is an exaggeration; however, just think about the money we spend on ...
The ultimate lunch swap
Regular readers on this column know that I have been on a school days kick rather frequently since the first of the year. And, in fact, I originally i...
Today in History
By The Associated PressToday is Saturday, Feb. 18, the 49th day of 2017. There are 316 days left in the year.Today’s Highlight in History:On Feb...
Being the official town dog isn’t easy
I don’t mind Boots. He just curls up quietly against my belly and stays put. But sleeping with Desdemona can be a bit unnerving. She snores. Som...
Bevin must sell taxes; Ky. needs money
During his State of the Commonwealth address, Gov. Matt Bevin proclaimed the need to increase tax revenues to pay down the looming pension crisis. Bev...
In a split second
This week, a close friend in Northern Kentucky was involved in a brutal car accident. She was minding her own business on her way to work in the after...